To get rid of mildew in showers and bathtubs you will need to remove your caulk and clean that area really well with white vinegar or a 50/50 mix of water and bleach (1 part water 1 part bleach). White vinegar is a natural bacteria killer and will get rid of your mildew without having to use chemicals.
Is black mold in shower caulk dangerous?
Black mold in your shower caulk can potentially become hazardous if not treated properly.
Mold is easily identified by its green or black color and slimy texture.
It can cause respiratory response problems which can be very dangerous for people with allergies.
Related article What Paint To Use For Bathrooms
Why does my shower caulk get moldy?
Moisture causes mold to grow.
Water gets trapped behind your caulk and doesn’t have the chance to dry.
That will cause mold to grow and spread from there.
Sometimes cleaning it with white vinegar is enough to kill the mold and stop it from spreading.
But in most cases, you will have to remove the caulk and caulk or silicone it after cleaning.
Is bleach or vinegar better to get rid of mold?
Vinegar is a natural bacteria killer and less harsh than the chemical bleach.
They both work great.
Bleach will have to be diluted with water in a 1:1 mix ratio (1 part water to 1 part bleach)
Related article Amazing Brush Drill Set
How to remove old silicone form bath tubs and showers
Sometimes you can remove silicone and caulk with an old spoon or a utility knife.
However, the easiest way to remove old silicone and caulk is with this handy caulk knife.
It effortlessly glides through the silicone and caulking and removes it in seconds.
How To caulk and silicone a bathtub or shower
A trick that I use to get a clean silicone line is to tape off both edges as seen in the video.
After running my bead of silicone I smooth it out with my finger or an old spoon in some cases.
Try to move at a decent pace.
You don’t want your silicone to because it will lift when removing the tape.
Always remove the tape right after smoothing out your silicone.
Let your silicone dry for the recommended time by the manufacturer which can be found on the back label of the bottle.
Mold and mildew will grow in moist and wet areas. Therefore it is essential to have good ventilation, especially in small bathrooms that tend to get damp easily. If you don’t have a good vent or a window that you can crack open it will be difficult to keep your surfaces dry and free from mold or mildew. If you have ether one starting to grow you should immediately combat them with either some white vinegar or a 50/50 mix of water and bleach.